I’m a writer, illustrator and designer and I live in Charlotte, NC. I come from a Navy family so I grew up all over the country, but my wife and I are calling Charlotte our home. It's always been my dream to create things for a living, so that's what I do. Most of the time I get paid for it.
In my free time (when I have some that is) I enjoy hanging out with my amazing wife, Brooke, and my super awesome son, Parker. I also love writing, illustrating, reading and playing video games.
And now, 13 random things about me:
1. I’ve competed in three different talent shows in my life and I regret them all. In 8th grade I played the Charlie Brown song (dressed in a Charlie Brown shirt), and was forced to forfeit any cool points I had accumulated. In college, I rapped in two talent shows…yeah.
2. I taught speech at Harding University for a year. Turns out I really enjoy teaching college students. I think I might give it another go someday.
3. If I ever meet Regina Spektor in person, there’s a good chance I’ll embarrass myself.
4. When I was a kid I had this weird OCD thing where if I touched something with one hand I had to touch it with the other too…I grew out of that.
5. I really like my wife. She is an amazing communicator. She has helped me be a better speech teacher, a better friend, and a better person.
6. I have always wanted to skateboard. I tried to get the hang of it once at age 12 and again at 20. It’s not for me.
7. I’m a middle child, and my two brothers are my best friends. I love and admire them both.
8. When Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 came out on video, my brothers and I watched it seven times in a row. Because Donatello cracks his knuckles in one scene, I started doing it myself, so if I ever have bad arthritis, it’s Donatello’s fault.
9. When I was in high school I worked as an intern for public affairs at the Charleston Air Force base. I was assigned to take pictures of George Dubya when he arrived on base. A secret service agent gave me a matchbook from Air Force One; it was sea-foam green and had a gold presidential seal on it. I left it in my pocket, and then washed those pants. Bummer. Next time I see a secret service agent I'll see if he can give me a new one.
10. I love mythology. Whether it’s Greek, Roman, Hindu, Indian, American, Japanese, or Celtic, they are all connected in one way or another. How is that not fascinating?
11. My wife can throw harder, faster, and farther than I can.
12. I have a no-vomit streak of 15 years and counting.
13. Everyone has an ugly phase in life. Mine started in seventh grade, and continued through my freshman year of high school, where I somehow managed to look exactly like Harry Potter (why did I wear sweater vests everyday?), thank God Harry Potter wasn’t around then.
Oh yeah, my middle name really does start with the letter D. Though I have been called a delight, I generally try to stay away from punning my own name.